When practicing awareness, you lightly place your attention on the feelings in your body generated by a specific emotion, belief, thought, or trauma.
Awareness is the opposite of resistance. When in a state of awareness, you don’t fight the emotion or try to convince yourself it’s not there. You acknowledge and feel it in an objective, constructive way.
Here’s a meditation to help you clear emotions that are having a negative impact on you and your outlook. It would be helpful to tape record the meditation so you can focus on staying relaxed and work without interruption.
- Sit in a comfortable chair and relax.
- Close your eyes and take eight deep breaths slowly and deeply into your lungs.
- Relax your body, one part at a time. You can work from the toes to the head or from the head to the toes, just be aware of each part for a few seconds and say silently to yourself, “My (body part) is now completely relaxed.” Breathe into the body part once and then breathe out and let go. Imagine inhaling relaxation into the area and exhaling tension from the area.
- Notice what you are feeling and where in your body you feel it. Breathe softly and quietly. Place your awareness on your entire body. Don’t try to direct your awareness willfully to any specific point. Mentally note any sensations or impressions. Spend about 5 minutes on this general body scan.
- If you have a specific pain put your awareness on the area and gradually move your awareness deeper into the area of discomfort.
- Be still and notice what you are feeling. Stay relaxed and be aware of any additional feelings or sensations that arise. Be nonjudgmental. Don’t make guesses or draw conclusions about why you are feeling or sensing certain things.
- If you encounter resistance or feel an increase in the emotion or pain or if you begin to feel heightened anxiety, this is your subconscious mind communicating with you. Stay with the sensation. Keep breathing smoothly and deeply. (If the sensation becomes too intense open your eyes and try the session later.)
- If you are focusing on a negative emotion or belief, you should find it passing or diminishing in intensity within a short time. When you do your next self-awareness session you will have more knowledge and when you work with the area again you should emerge with a longer period of relief.
- End the session by thanking your subconscious mind for its help. Open your eyes and slowly stretch before you get up and move around.
Source: Your Hands Can Heal You by Stephen Co & Eric B. Robins, MD.